Rebecca Pow writes
Taunton Deane has been my home for more than 30 years with my family. I come from a long line of farmers, all from Somerset. It is a wonderful area and I don’t plan on going anywhere else! It is a fantastic place to live, work and bring up a family. I am also the first female Conservative Member of Parliament that Taunton Deane has ever had and I could not be prouder to represent them. I would describe myself as a traditional Conservative with a twist of the contemporary and my own added touch of green. On this note, in 2018, I was pleased to be awarded a Green Heart Hero Award by The Climate Coalition, a coalition of over 100 charities and community groups across the UK, for being the "Greenest New MP" for my environmental work. Further I was humbled and proud to receive a Giving Voice Award from the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists regarding my work on communication skills for our young people.
I was also proud to release a publication with the Conservative Environment Network as a backbencher, entitled "Thinking differently about our environment: a holistic approach to policy" which a significant number of colleagues contributed to and I am proud to say that this has genuinely influenced government policy and many of the recommendations have now been included in legislation. My work too on getting soil onto the agenda has paid dividends. I did the first ever debate on soil in parliament and worked with stakeholders to establish the Sustainable Soils Alliance and am so pleased that soil health is now firmly embedded in our new Environmental Land Management system which will pay farmers to manage their soils for public good. Also, having chaired the APPG for Ancient Woodland & Veteran Trees, I am delighted to have been instrumental securing extra protections for this precious habitat. In more recent years, one of my particular focuses has been on the whole water landscape and delivering a holistic approach to water.
I am a scientist by training and a former BBC, ITV and Channel 4 reporter who specialised in the environment, farming and gardening. I have also worked for the National Farmers’ Union, standing up for the agricultural community in dealings with Brussels. I was proud to be the first environmental correspondent on television in the UK and I was the second woman ever to produce and present Radio 4's Farming Today.
In 2003, I decided to set up my own local PR and Communications business. From my own personal experience in running a PR business for 10 years, I understand the needs and concerns of small businesses in Taunton Deane and across our county. I also listen to local people about what they want from us and understand the need for growth. We can put the county town and the whole of Taunton Deane on the map for the right reasons. The vision I have for Taunton Deane is a great vision and one that we can make a reality if we work together.
I have always been involved in local activities which I enjoy greatly. From being a School Governor for 10 years to a busy Parish Councillor in Stoke St Mary, I have partaken in many community projects like fundraising and always seek to play an active role.
Since becoming the Member of Parliament for Taunton Deane, I have held a number of roles and have been involved in many groups that you can see below. Currently I am Minister for the Environment in DEFRA.
- Environment Minister, DEFRA
- Arts and Heritage Minister, DCMS
- Ancient Woodland and Veteran Trees All Party Parliamentary Group (Former Chair)
- Animal Welfare All Party Parliamentary Group (Chairman)
- Armed Forces Covenant All Party Parliamentary Group
- Broadband All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- Climate Change All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- DEFRA Backbench Committee (Chair)
- Endangered Species All Party Parliamentary Group
- Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee
- Environmental Audit Select Committee
- Parliamentary Representative of CRAG (Conservative Rural Affairs Group)
- Protect Our Waves All Party Parliamentary Group
- Rural Broadband All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- Rural Services All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- Science and Technology in Agriculture All Party Parliamentary Group
- South West Rail All Party Parliamentary Group
- Sustainable Built Environment All Party Parliamentary Group
- Tennis All Party Parliamentary Group
- Cricket All Party Parliamentary Group
I am here to help! If my constituents have any concerns about issues that they would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to write to me:
Rebecca Pow MP,
House of Commons,
Or send me an email at: email@example.com