Rebecca Pow writes
On 8 June 2017, I was re-elected as MP for Taunton Deane with an increased majority of 15,887 after receiving a total of 33,334 votes.
I was selected by a capacity audience at an exciting Open Primary held in Taunton in July 2013. It was the first time that a candidate had been selected for the constituency in this way where the audience all voted. I am also the first female Conservative Member of Parliament that Taunton Deane has ever had and I could not be prouder to represent them!
Taunton Deane has been my home for the last 27 years with my husband and family. I come from a long line of farmers, all from Somerset. It is a wonderful area and I don’t plan on going anywhere else! It is a fantastic place to live, work and bring up a family.
I have always been involved in local activities which I enjoy greatly. From being a School Governor for 10 years to a busy Parish Councillor in Stoke St Mary, I have partaken in many community projects like fundraising and always seek to play an active role.
I am a scientist by training and a former BBC, ITV and Channel 4 reporter who specialised in the environment, farming and gardening. I have also worked for the National Farmers’ Union, standing up for the agricultural community in dealings with Brussels.
In 2003, I decided to set up my own local PR and Communications business. From my own personal experience in running a PR business for 10 years, I understand the needs and concerns of small businesses in Taunton Deane and across our county. I also listen to local people about what they want from us and understand the need for growth. We can put the county town and the whole of Taunton Deane on the map for the right reasons. The vision I have for Taunton Deane is a great vision and one that we can make a reality if we work together.
I support the Government’s moves to cap welfare, improve education and opportunities for our young people, control immigration, deal with the deficit and enable people to get on by giving them the right climate to do so. I would describe myself as a traditional Conservative with a twist of the contemporary and my own added touch of green!
Since becoming the Member of Parliament for Taunton Deane, I have been involved in many groups that you can see below. Currently I am a member of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee and the Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions. I am also the Vice Chair for the Environment on the All Party Parliamentary China Group.
- Ancient Woodland and Veteran Trees All Party Parliamentary Group
- Animal Welfare All Party Parliamentary Group (Chairman)
- Armed Forces Covenant All Party Parliamentary Group
- Broadband All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- Climate Change All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- DEFRA Backbench Committee (Chair)
- Endangered Species All Party Parliamentary Group
- Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee
- Environmental Audit Select Committee
- Parliamentary Representative of CRAG (Conservative Rural Affairs Group)
- Protect Our Waves All Party Parliamentary Group
- Rowing All Party Parliamentary Group
- Rural Broadband All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- Rural Services All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- Science and Technology in Agriculture All Party Parliamentary Group
- South West Rail All Party Parliamentary Group
- Sustainable Built Environment All Party Parliamentary Group
- Tennis All Party Parliamentary Group
I am here to help! If my constituents have any concerns about issues that they would like to discuss, please do not hesitate to write to me:
Rebecca Pow MP,
House of Commons,
Or send me an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org