Rebecca Pow writes
On 7th May 2015, I was successfully elected as the Member of Parliament for Taunton Deane with a 15.5k majority and since then have been working tirelessly to improve and enhance the constituency of Taunton Deane.
The constituency has been my home for 27 years with my husband and family. I come from a long line of farmers, all from Somerset. It’s a wonderful area and I don’t plan on going anywhere else! It’s a wonderful area to live, work and bring up a family.
I’ve always been involved in local activities which I much enjoy, from being a School Governor for 10 years, and a busy Parish Councillor in Stoke St Mary where I’ve also taken part in many fund raising community projects.
A scientist by training, a former BBC,ITV and C4 reporter, specialising in the environment, farming and gardening I have also worked for the National Farmers Union, standing up for the agricultural community in dealings with Brussels.
In 2003, I decided to set up my own PR and Communications business locally. From my own personal experience in running a PR business for 10 years, I understand the needs and concerns of small businesses in Taunton Deane and across our County. I also listen to local people about what they want from us and I understand the need for growth. We can put the County town and the whole of Taunton Deane on the map for the right reasons. The vision for Taunton is a great vision and working together we can make it a reality.
I support the Government's moves to cap welfare, improve education and opportunities for our young people, control immigration, deal with the deficit and enable people to be given the right climate to get on. I am a traditional Conservative with a twist of the contemporary with my own added touch of green!
I was selected by a capacity audience at an exciting Open Primary held in Taunton in July 2013. It is the first time a candidate has been selected for the constituency in this way, with the audience voting. I am also the first female Member of Parliament that Taunton Deane Conservatives have ever had and I couldn’t be prouder to represent them!
Since becoming the Member of Parliament for Taunton Deane, I have joined the following groups in Westminster;
- Environment, Food & Rural Affairs Select Committee
- Environmental Audit Select Committee
- Rural Services All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- Climate Change All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- Rural Broadband All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice Chair)
- Animal Welfare All Party Parliamentary Group (Chairman)
- Ancient Woodland & Veteran Trees All Party Parliamentary Group
- Broadband All Party Parliamentary Group (Vice-Chair)
- Endangered Species All Party Parliamentary Group
- Protect Our Waves All Party Parliamentary Group
- Rowing All Party Parliamentary Group
- Tennis All Party Parliamentary Group
- Sciene & Tech in Agriculture All Party Parliamentary Group
- Sustainable Built Environment All Party Parliamentary Group
- South West Rail All Party Parliamentary Group
- Armed Forces Covenant All Party Parliamentary Group
- DEFRA Backbench Committee (Chair)
- Parliamentary Representative of CRAG (Conservative Rural Affairs Group)
However, now that a General Election has been called for June 8th 2017, I will be the Parliamentary Candidate for the Conservative Party until hopefully, re-elected as the Member of Parliament for Taunton Deane on 8th June.