Many of you will know that since being the local MP, I have championed the restoration of the iconic Wellington Monument. Just a few years ago, it might have seemed an impossible goal, given the £4m cost of the restoration and the challenges involved. However, thanks to tremendous input from a myriad of people, the restoration is complete, and I am thrilled the Monument has opened once again.
It was during my first term in Parliament that I secured the initial £1m from the Libor Fund to launch the restoration project and with the National Trust’s match funding and prioritising the scheme plus additional grants, superb community support and the Duke of Wellington’s keen interest, the restoration progressed. A final injection of funds from the Government’s Cultural Recovery Fund meant that work continued throughout lockdown last year so we can now celebrate this exceptional achievement. Do go and enjoy it!
More in the News
- Trust seeks £4m and public support for monument project, Wellington Weekly, Saturday 13 August 2016
- The National Trust backs the restoration of the Wellington Monument, Somerset County Gazette, Friday 5 August 2016
- Taunton Deane MP Rebecca Pow takes Wellington Monument petition to Parliament, Somerset County Gazette, Thursday 21 July 2016
- Duke signs petition to save crumbling Wellington Monument in Somerset, BBC News, Friday 15 July 2016
- Duke of Wellington Charles Wellesley supports Taunton Deane MP Rebecca Pow's campaign to restore Wellington Monument, Somerset County Gazette, Saturday 9 July 2016
- MP calls for Wellington Monument restoration funds, BBC News, Saturday 4 June 2016
- 'Town Monument - now it's over to you', Wellington Weekly, Saturday 28 May 2016
- 'Taunton Deane's MP Rebecca Pow launches petition to restore Wellington Monument', Somerset County Gazette, Friday 20 May 2016
- 'MP launches petition to repair Wellington Monument', BBC News, Thursday 19 May 2016
- 'Taunton MP calls for help with urgent repairs needed at the Wellington Monument', ITV News, Wednesday 18 May 2016